The Hundred Year Diet: America's Voracious Appetite for

The Hundred Year Diet: America's Voracious Appetite for Losing Weight A lively cultural history of the American weight loss industry that explores the origins of our obsession with dieting

About the Author: Susan Yager

Is a well known author, some of his books are a fascination for readers like in the The Hundred Year Diet: America's Voracious Appetite for Losing Weight book, this is one of the most wanted Susan Yager author readers around the world.

10 thoughts on “The Hundred Year Diet: America's Voracious Appetite for Losing Weight

I was disappointed in this It starts out well cataloging the insane diets of the 1800s and on, you realize just how nutty Americans have been about food for quite a long time The discussions are all really superficial, however, which was especially frustrating since the book is relatively short There would have been room for a much deeper discussion, and I felt like I was reading a book aimed at high school students.I was really disappointed, however, at the last few chapters, which were e I was disa

I was interested in this book because I am in the middle of a medically supervised diet plan to try to take off the last few decade s worth of excess weight I don t recall how I had slipped onto the road to obesity in middle age, but I do remember the half measures I d tried to get myself off of it on my own It seemed clear that it was all a matter ofpowerful forces than an individual could comprehend unaided.This is a survey through all the attempts to discourage Americans from growing I was interested in

I was hoping for a fun romp through the crazy fad diets of the last several hundred years This exists for the first couple of chapters, but it really quite short on each diet Nevertheless, this part is pretty interesting and a good discussion of dieting culture most Americans truly had no clue how to eat any And then, a rant about obesity in America, with no reference to the fact that it could be related to that one, extremely insightful quote Or to the fact that yoyo dieting leaves mos I was hoping for a fun romp

Synopsis A nonfiction book that looks at how American s have been looking at weight and diets historically with the major focus on views since World War IMy rating 4 5Overall I enjoyed this book and found it insightful and interesting The book was approximately 250 pages and there were times it became repetitive or I was ready for the topic to move forward before it did I think this is something I find often occurs in nonfiction presumably because an author is trying to reiterate their points Synopsis A nonfiction book t

As the lengthy title explains, this is a book about the American quest for a solution to being overweight, including diets both faddish and sensible, bizarre equipment, pills, manufactured foods, andIt starts a little over 100 years ago, when the first fad diets in the US developed as part of certain evangelical Christian practices Eventually religious cults turned into health clinics, and health clinics turned into weight loss resorts for the rich and famous Any actual science came muc As the lengthy title explains, this is a

First, this book was AMAZING I usually don t gush over non fiction books because on average they tend to be dense, dry books that take a lot of will power to get through THIS book is different It is so well written it reads like a novel, a real page turner The Hundred Year Diet is a straight forward, plain language, simple to understand history of America s diet since the mid 19th century Ms Yager definitely took her time and did her homework because this book is very well researched and t First, this book was AMAZING I usually don t

I m not exactly sure what it was I expected of this book It was not at all what I thought it would be that is just fine with me All I can say is it was a real eye opener I had no idea that American s were on diets for such a long time even during the Great Depression American s dieting even though they were not fat Always striving to be what we are told is beautiful.The most noble part of the diet trend was the war effort to Grow Your Own Food That must be the smartest healthiest ti I m not exactly sure what it was I expected of this book It

Lots of interesting information here, about the beginnings of America s obsession with diet, weights, and the evils of food I would have likeddetail about the different diet doctors, because those sections were fascinating.I felt that it ran out of steam in the end Yager doesn t have anything very interesting to say about the current food landscape, and I thought her conclusion that everyone was going to start listening to Michael Pollan and stop buying so much processed food was wildl Lots of interesting information here, about the beginnings of A

Goodreads win Looks like it will be an interesting read The Hundred Year Diet American s Voracious Appetite for Losing Weight turned out to be pretty good I enjoyed the reading first half of the book which took you through a few decades of dieting regimens that sounds absolutely ridiculous now I loved learning something new about America s dieting history Crazy stuff folks used to do to reduce The last few chapters were just okay Nothing jumped out at me that I didn t already know The Goodreads win Looks like it will be an interesting read The Hundred Yea

As the title suggests, The Hundred Year Diet covers the history of dieting in America from about World War I to the present day, with much of the message being thethings change, thethey stay the same In parallel, of course, it also covers the history of weight during that time, changes in the Met Life charts and in the weights of Americans throughout the last century Here the message is that the US has been declared too fat since at least the 1950s, even when the data didn t supp As the title suggests, The Hundred Year Diet covers the history of dieting in Ameri