Stranger Things Happen PDF Ú Stranger Things Epub /

Stranger Things Happen This first collection by award winning author Kelly Link takes fairy tales and cautionary tales, dictators and extraterrestrials, amnesiacs and honeymooners, revenants and readers alike, on a voyage into new, strange, and wonderful territory The girl detective must go to the underworld to solve the case of the tap dancing bank robbers A librarian falls in love with a girl whose father collects artificial noses A dead man posts letters home to his estranged wife Two women named Louise begin a series of consecutive love affairs with a string of cellists A newly married couple become participants in an apocalyptic beauty pageant Sexy blond aliens invade New York City A young girl learns how to make herself disappearThese eleven extraordinary stories are quirky, spooky, and smart They all have happy endings Every story contains a secret prize Each story was written especially for youStories from Stranger Things Happen have won the Nebula, Tiptree, and World Fantasy Award Stranger Things Happen was a Salon Book of the Year, one of the Village Voice sFavorite Books of , and was nominated for the Firecracker Alternative Book AwardContents Carnation, Lily, Lily, RoseWater Off a Black Dog s BackThe Specialist s HatFlying LessonsTravels with the Snow Queen Vanishing ActSurvivor s Ball, or, The Donner PartyShoe and MarriageMost of My Friends Are Two Thirds WaterLouise s GhostThe Girl DetectiveCover painting by Shelley Jackson

10 thoughts on “Stranger Things Happen

it s not me, it s you, Stranger Things Happen what is it the kids say these days I just can t I m just not that into you but it s not my fault God knows I was patient and I tried to be supportive and I tried and I tried and I tried a whole long month of trying I just can t with you though and not to play the blame game, but seriously it s all your f

This book will sleep with you on the first date Then when you wake up beside it in the early morning you will spend some serious time considering whether it was great, or whether it would have been better to wait a bit.For me it was a bit wild, which I like, from a book, but also a little cold, a little impersonal This book may have issues with nymphomani

I sort of feel I should apologize for this rating I picked this up on the strength of some good ratings and reviews here But I just didn t like this book I don t mean to be hard to get along with, but I found the stories rather silly Again, I m sorry if you like this book and please enjoy I wanted to like this book Based on what I d read I picked it up ready f

I really love Kelly Link s writing style It falls somewhere between magical realist and full blown surreal, and it manages to be very emotionally affecting without sacrificing subtlety It is frequently surprising, often delightful, occasionally horrific Link can get me to agree to suspend my disbelief in some of the most wildly imaginative and implausible situation

Short Stories This was stamped science fiction by the library, but these short, fantastic stories havein common with magical realism and retold fairy tales than science or even speculative fiction Plenty of ghosts, being dead, being haunted, dating a son of Zeus, searching for the lover that the Snow Queen stole away that sort of thing Written with a light hand, these s

The only reason I finished this book is because I read Magic for beginners first and I liked that one slightlythan this collection In the end, I guess Link just isn t for me I like my stories to make sense, to have some internal logic and structure I can follow and, possibly, an ending or a hint of an explanation my mind can work upon Link s stories instead feel to melike a

The stories are unusual and not at all predictable But they re dull They seem to have been written to impress critics or other authors with their strangeness The author seems to delight in showing us how clever and creative she can be For example, there s lots of cute but ultimately meaningless word play Unfortunately, the stories are not compelling or engrossing at all.Regarding

This is a collection of urban fantasy stories with weird twists and I do mean weird Think what would happen if David Lynch wrote some urban fantasy Actually in the beginning I was almost sure it WAS David Lynch writing under a pseudonym, but later I realized this is just too weird for him As for the stories themselves, they range from horror to urban fantasy to fairy tales retelling a

Um, he s sick My best friend s sister s boyfriend s brother s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who s going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night I guess it s pretty serious That was funny in Ferris Buehler s Day off It was just a couple lines Now imagine an entire book done in that same sort of frantic voice No real authority or ownership of the ev

Carnation, Lily, Lily, RoseThe ghost of a man stuck in a strange limbo tries fruitlessly to remember his wife s name Through his monologue, a sad story gradually emerges.Water Off a Black Dog s BackA young librarian meets an attractive girl as she s returning a book in worse than dog eared condition A love affair quickly starts but when she takes him home to meet the family, he s drawn straight