Half a King PDF ä Half a PDF/EPUB ² Paperback

Half a King Alternate cover edition for ISBN For all editions see hereBetrayed by his family and left for dead, prince Yarvi, reluctant heir to a divided kingdom, has vowed to reclaim a throne he never wanted But first he must survive cruelty, chains and the bitter waters of the shattered sea itself all with only one good hand Born a weakling in the eyes of a hard, cold world, he cannot grip a shield or swing an axe, so has sharpened his mind to a deadly edge Gathering a strange fellowship of the outcast, he finds they can help him than any noble could Even so, Yarvi s path may end as it began in twists, traps and tragedy

10 thoughts on “Half a King

First off, I would like to taunt you all just a little bit Because I got to read an ARC of this book and you have to wait until it comes out in July But I can say this This particular book is worth the wait I ve been a fan of Abercrombie s stuff for years His worldbuilding is great, his characterization is marvelous, he writes an amazing action scene Yeah, simply said, his craft is undeniably excellent That said, sometimes I put down one of his books and think to mysel

Once, after his father had hit him in a rage, Yarvi s mother had found him crying The fool strikes, she had said The wise man smiles, and watches, and learns Then strikes. Half a King is the kind of book that creeps up on you gradually, painting a picture of kingdoms and slavery and backstabbing until you think this is basically another fantasy set in the comfort zone of the genre, and then it hits you hard when you least expect it I kid you not, there were three huge twists

Opportunities to blurb one s nemesis are rare indeed Having been published in ye olde aught 7, Joe Abercrombie is the elder in our Sith padawan duo, whilst I have only been in print since late, late 2008 Our careers have followed similar trajectories each of us receiving early and effusive critical praise oh wait, that was him , each of us selling millions of books himmillions or aebullient publicist , each of us winning the David Gemmell Legend Award oh wait, that was me , ea Opp

There were four parts in this epic fantasy story The first held little interesting scenes and turned out to be quite banal for nothing surprising happened We were introduced to the main character and his family, which was good, but, really, other than that it was the basic king died needs replacement hero becomes king marriage betrayal and everything felt really flatly executed The second part though was different and original In each part, actually, we met new characters There were in

Just so no one thinks I d review a book I hadn t read, yes, I got to read it already as an Advanced Reading Copy I ve enjoyed Abercrombie s books before but this one had an exceptionally tight focus on the protagonist that I really liked And the story does not compromise anywhere It s a coming of age story but that trite description does it no justice No spoilers here, just a whole hearted recommendation.

12 29 17 ON SALE for 2.99 by Rabid ReadsIt s not a secret that YA fantasy is second to only UF on my preferred genres list It s also not a secret that YA fantasy has been falling flat for me recently With the exception of Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas, the last 6 or 8 YA fantasies I ve read have been disappointing at best, DNFs at worst.It was getting to the point that I was doubting myself, thinking that I was in some kind of genre specific book funk, an 12 29 17 ON SALE for 2.99 by Rabid ReadsIt s

I m a big fan of Abercrombie stark gritty fantasy books for grown ups His fiction pulls no punches and takes no prisoners unless those prisoners are later tortured and executed So I was curious to see how he would approach the world of young adult fiction in Half a King The answer brilliantly Abercrombie creates a fantasy world that is somewhat neo Viking, set around the Shattered Sea the Baltic and North Atlantic ages after the elves 21st Century man shattered god Blew everything I m a big fan of Abercr

There I was, peacefully reading a decent, interesting YA fantasy, a sort of Viking flavored coming of age story about the adventures of a physically weak, studious 15 year old prince with a crippled hand Prince Yarvi briefly reigns over the kingdom of Gettland when his father and brother die, but he s betrayed and abruptly descends from the throne to abject slavery Yarvi, determined to regain the throne and take revenge on those who betrayed him, has to overcome various obstacles and people There I was, peacef

4.5 StarsThis was my first Joe Abercrombie story and it definitely won t be my last In fact, I already have the next book in my hands It was slow to start for me, but such is always the case in first of a series books when there is solid world building afoot.I really enjoyed Abercrombie s writing It just seemed to flow so effortlessly I would feel as though I had just sat down and then realize I had already blown through 50 pages And I am a sucker for short chapters I guessed the first twi 4.5 StarsThis was my first

From the many cages ranked around the walls they looked down on him now, the doves, and one great bronze feathered eagle which must have brought a message from the High King in Skekenhouse The one person in the lands around the Shattered Sea who had the right to make requests of Yarvi now Yet here he sat against the dropping speckled wall, picking at the nail on his shriveled hand, buried beneath a howe of demands he could never fulfillAs someone who has stepped out of her YA comfFrom the many cages ranked around the wall