Man's Search for Meaning: An Introduction to Logotherapy

Man's Search for Meaning: An Introduction to Logotherapy Viktor E Frankl, MD PhD was professor of psychiatry and neurology at the University of Vienna Medical School, professor of logotherapy at the United States International University, and visiting clinical professor of psychiatry at Stanford University He was the leader and originator of the school of logotherapy or existential analysis He was also the author ofbooks that have been translated intolanguages The US edition of Man s Search for Meaning had sold over one and a half million copies in it s firstyearsAfter three grim years at Auschwitz and other Nazi prisons, Dr Frankl gained freedom only to learn that almost his entire family had been wiped out But during, and indeed partly because of, the incredible suffering and degradation of those harrowing years, he developed his theory of logotherapy

About the Author: Viktor E. Frankl

Viktor Emil Frankl M.D., Ph.D., was an Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist as well as a Holocaust survivor Frankl was the founder of logotherapy, which is a form of Existential Analysis, the Third Viennese School of psychotherapy.His book Man s Search for Meaning first published under a different title in 1959 From Death Camp to Existentialism Originally published in 1946 as Ein Psycholog erlebt das Konzentrationslager chronicles his experiences as a concentration camp inmate and describes his psychotherapeutic method of finding meaning in all forms of existence, even the most sordid ones, and thus a reason to continue living He was one of the key figures in existential therapy Excerpted from Wikipedia.

10 thoughts on “Man's Search for Meaning: An Introduction to Logotherapy

I read this book for the first time during my senior year in high school The year prior, I had gone to Germany for spring break with some fellow classmates During the tr

After I read this book, which I finished many, many years ago, I had become self critical of any future endeavours which would take up a lot of my time I would ask myself

How is it possible to write dispassionately of life in a concentration camp in such a way as to engender great feeling in the reader This is how Frankl dealt with his experi

The original part one was the strongest I think because the rest started to go into the typical psychobabble inherent to books trying to contribute to the academic side of psy

What is it that makes life worth living Is it the pursuit of happiness Attaining success As human beings living in a vast and endless universe or multiverse for that matter , wh

For most of the book, I felt as dumbfounded as I would have been if I were browsing through a psychiatric journal Filled with references and technical terms and statistics, it was

This is a short but extremely intense book, first published in 1946 It begins with the author s experiences in four different German concentration camps in WWII, including Auschwitz

Trotzdem Ja zum Leben sagen Ein Psychologe erlebt das Konzentrationslager Man s Search for Meaning an introduction to logotherapy, Viktor E Frankl Man s Search for Meaning is a 1946 b

This book stands out as one of the most helpful tools I ve found in my life long search for the way to live and be useful to others despite depression As opposed to Freud, who believed

After the Book of Mormon, this would be my second recommendation to anyone looking for purpose in life Here s a poignant excerpt from one of my favorite parts of the book when Frankl has