The Serpent of Venice PDF ↠ The Serpent PDF or

The Serpent of Venice New York Times bestselling author Christopher Moore channels William Shakespeare and Edgar Allan Poe in this satiric Venetian gothic that brings back the Pocket of Dog Snogging, the eponymous hero of Fool, along with his sidekick, Drool, and pet monkey, JeffVenice, a long time ago Three prominent Venetians await their most loathsome and foul dinner guest, the erstwhile envoy of Britain and France, and widower of the murdered Queen Cordelia the rascal Fool PocketThis trio of cunning plotters the merchant, Antonio the senator, Montressor Brabantio and the naval officer, Iago have lured Pocket to a dark dungeon, promising an evening of sprits and debauchery with a rare Amontillado sherry and Brabantio s beautiful daughter, PortiaBut their invitation is, of course, bogus The wine is drugged The girl isn t even in the city limits Desperate to rid themselves once and for all of the man who has consistently foiled their grand quest for power and wealth, they have lured him to his death How can such a small man, be such a huge obstacle But this Fool is no fool and he s got than a few tricks and hand gestures up his sleeve

10 thoughts on “The Serpent of Venice

Some might think that William Shakespeare and Edgar Allan Poe would be rolling in their graves at the way Christopher Moore has used their works, but it s just as likely that they d be laughing their asses off Moore has In his own words stitched together an abomination out of The Merchant of Venice, Othello and The Cask of Amontillado using the character of Pocket as the thread Pocket was the hero of Moore s last Shakespeare spoof Fool, and while he

Chorus And so, from the anointed pen of yon modern bard, comes a re telling of the Merchant of Venice, Othello, and Cask of Amontillado, what doth pretend to amuse with glad tidings Iago Tis truly spoken, the knave Moore has again made sporting use of the fool Pocket.Bassanio Ha , but a jest, he has made loutish amusement of Will s Venetian comedy.Jessica The jester doth make rude jest.Pocket Well I am a flippin tosser, ain t I This is a hero s tale, ain

CHORUSGondola knifes through vasty nightPast dying stars of lantern lightAnd distant cries of tart s delightRide drunken songs to bawdy heights.Beneath a bridge doth stand the fool,Crafting plans to free young Drool.By stealth or guile or cutting throats,No plots commence without a boat We find Pocket at the beginning of this novel in a bit of a pickle He is shackled and chained in a room that is so close to the sea that when the tide comes in water rises to h

Hot on the heels of finishing Fool , I couldn t have beenpleased to hear that I was mere days away from another bawdy tale of heinous fuckery most foul featuring our pal Pocket Thanks Amanda And, as usual, Christopher Moore below delivers another raucous ride in the most Moorish of ways Othello pun So what s in store for Pocket and friends Well, once again Moore is borrowing from good old Will Othello and The Merchant of Venice , with bits and pieces from elsewhere

Ode to the Bawdy BardThis is Shakespeare turned to eleven, and while there s no Spinal Tap reference there are an enormous amount of tweaks and nods from Poe to The Princess Bride Frankly, this is too clever and I too dull of wit to do justice to the absurdist skewering.Nonetheless, I shall sally forth I ll be blunt, as soon as a dragon named Vivian makes an appearance and decapitation takes the front seat I was pretty much invested in this story and it was going to be

I have been a huge fan of Christopher Moore for years, so when I saw this available, I snapped it up Sadly, I must say it is not one of his better books.Pocket is back, though without his sidekick Drool and pet monkey Jeff for most of the book In Serpent of Venice , Pocket is busy getting mostly dead, working with Othello, and saving a Jewess Among other things Oh, and revenge as is common is most Shakespeare related writing is a main component of the story.I really didn t f

Stay back from the edge for a bit, would you matey The Serpent of Venice disappointed me No other way to say it Its predecessor, Fool , was clever and an enjoyable read This one just did not do it for me.Christopher Moore seems unable to give up a lame joke This novel is his standard vulgarity mix and repeat and repeat and repeat distasteful sexual jokes am I the only person not interested in a protagonist who has sex with a sea serpent In addition, Moore has used this motif in m

An excellent, most humorous, and quite bawdy amalgamation of The Merchant of Venice, Othello, and The Cask of Amontillado Moore brings back everyone s favorite court jester, Pocket of Dog Snogging from Fool, as well as his apprentice Drool and his monkey Jeff, and sends them to Venice to intertwine with Othello, Iago, Shylock, Antonio, and even Marco Polo, among other senators, merchants, soldiers and whores It was a deftly plotted romp, with plenty of deceit, treachery, and villainou

What can I say.I loved Fool It was tightly written, crisp,and hilarious This sequel.not so much I can t say I am sorry I read it It s part of the story I guess It seemed like Chris had too many irons in the fire,and he was trying a bit too hard in this one this book has it s great moments,and some funny stuff Just not enough, I didn t feel I laughed outloud some, but not nearly as much as I have with other of Chris s wonderful books and stories That disappointed me Too disjo What can I say

I m thrilled and a little humbled that, through the kindness of the author, I got to read the story six months before its release date.Having said that Othello and the Merchant of Venice meet over a Cask of Amantillado With a snake monster thrown in Sounds awful, right And from any other author, it might be awful But Serpent ismagical The three stories blend togetheror less seamlessly I totally bought that Desdemona and Portia were sisters, and that the father s anger by the I m thrilled and a