The Cleaner of Chartres PDF » The Cleaner PDF/EPUB

The Cleaner of Chartres From the author of Miss Garnet s Angel, a story of the redemptive power of love and community in the famous French cathedral townThere is something very special about Agn s Morel A quiet presence in the small French town of Chartres, she can be found cleaning the famed medieval cathedral each morning and doing odd jobs for the townspeople No one knows where she came from or why Not Abb Paul, who discovered her one morning twenty years ago, sleeping on the north porch, and not Alain Fleury, the irreverent young restorer who works alongside her each day and whose attention she catches with her tawny eyes and elusive manner She has transformed each of their lives in her own subtle way, yet no one suspects the dark secret Agn s is hidingWhen an accidental encounter dredges up a series of tragic incidents from Agn s s youth, the nasty meddling of town gossips threatens to upend the woman s simple, peaceful life Her story reveals a terrible loss, a case of mistaken identity, and a cruel and violent act that haunts her past Agn s wrestles with her own sense of guilt and enduring heartbreak while the citizens piece together the truth about her life

About the Author: Salley Vickers

Salley Vickers was born in Liverpool, the home of her mother, and grew up as the child of parents in the British Communist Party She won a state scholarship to St Paul s Girl s School and went on to read English at Newnham College Cambridge She has worked, variously, as a cleaner, a dancer, an artist s model, a teacher of children with special needs, a university teacher of literature, and a psychoanalyst Her first novel, Miss Garnet s Angel , became an international word of mouth bestseller She now writes full time and lectures widely on many subjects, particularly the connections between, art, literature, psychology and religion.Her principal interests are opera, bird watching, dancing, and poetry One of her father s favourite poets, W.B.Yeats, was responsible for her name Salley, the Irish for willow which comes from Yeats s poem set to music by Benjamin Britten Down by the salley gardens.

10 thoughts on “The Cleaner of Chartres

This is a story of love, loss, faith and forgiveness There s a rich array of characters, some good, some bad, but all interacted perfectly to retain my interest It had an ending that suggested to me that there could be a follow up, but still concluded in a satisfying way.

I just couldn t take this book, it was such tedious reading The character of Agnes was quite unbelievable and I didn t really care about her anyway In fact I didn t really care about anyone at all And then having reached that point, I didn t care about reading anyAnd so I stopped.The author has taken all her many occupatio

This bewitching novel follows the life of Agnes Morel, who was found asleep one day in the North Porch of the cathedral of Notre Dame, in the old town of Chartres Each chapter alternates between her past and her present, as we learn how Agnes was found as an abandoned baby, how she was brought up in a convent and how tragedy

This book is beautifully written, has outstanding characters with depth, includes mystery and intrigue, has a plot that will keep you engaged, and a tale you won t want to end.We all have a past whether sordid or lily white We either like to keep our past hidden or allow it to be an open book Agnes didn t like to think of her

Thanks for dragging me along through the most boring of stories I really learned a lot and grew as a person The Cleaner of Chartres is about the quiet Agnes, found in a basket by a farmer The slow and overwritten novel jumps from the present to Agnes past where we learn surprisingly little considering the mountain pages we had t

A beautiful moving novel with depthAgnes Morel is an unlikely main character in a novel quiet unassuming and middle aged The beginning of the book is slow with lengthy descriptions of Chartres Cathedral and not much dialogue, so at first I thought I would struggle to make it to the end But I loved Miss Garnet s Angel so I persever

blurb There is something special about the ancient cathedral in Chartres with its mismatched spires, astonishing stained glass and strange labyrinth And there is something special too about Agn s Morel, the mysterious woman who is to be found cleaning it each morning.No one quite knows where she came from not the diffident Abb Paul

I have read some of Salley Vickers other novels and found a few I liked and some I couldn t get on with at all The Cleaner of Chartres is one of the really good ones in my opinion I read it over the space of a couple of days and loved the writing, the characters and the background Agnes Morel is an orphan She was found as a new born b

Redemption and self discovery are recurrent themes in Salley Vickers writing and she tackles the same subjects here in The Cleaner of Chartres The central hub of the story is the ancient cathedral of Chartres which attracts a wide range of visitors, each one seeking something different to fulfil their incomplete lives Agnes Morel is the

I really struggled with the beginning of this book The sentence structures are sometimes so convoluted that it is difficult to say who the different parts refer to one sentence I could make neither head nor tail of The author also has a penchant for long and obscure words, and while I enjoy extending my vocabulary, always choosing five or