The Hungry Tide ePUB ´ The Hungry PDF or

The Hungry Tide Off the easternmost corner of India, in the Bay of Bengal, lies the immense labyrinth of tiny islands known as the Sundarbans, where settlers live in fear of drowning tides and man eating tigers Piya Roy, a young American marine biologist of Indian descent, arrives in this lush, treacherous landscape in search of a rare species of river dolphin and enlists the aid of a local fisherman and a translator Together the three of them launch into the elaborate backwaters, drawn unawares into the powerful political undercurrents of this isolated corner of the world that exact a personal toll as fierce as the tides

About the Author: Amitav Ghosh

Amitav Ghosh is one of India s best known writers His books include The Circle of Reason, The Shadow Lines, In An Antique Land, Dancing in Cambodia, The Calcutta Chromosome, The Glass Palace, Incendiary Circumstances, The Hungry Tide His most recent novel, Sea of Poppies, is the first volume of the Ibis Trilogy.Amitav Ghosh was born in Calcutta in 1956 He studied in Dehra Dun, New Delhi, Alexandria and Oxford and his first job was at the Indian Express newspaper in New Delhi He earned a doctorate at Oxford before he wrote his first novel, which was published in 1986.The Circle of Reason won the Prix Medicis Etranger, one of France s top literary awards, and The Shadow Lines won the Sahitya Akademi Award and the Ananda Puraskar The Calcutta Chromosome won the Arthur C Clarke Award for 1997 and The Glass Palace won the Grand Prize for Fiction at the Frankfurt International e Book Awards in 2001 The Hungry Tide won the Hutch Crossword Book Prize in 2006 In 2007 Amitav Ghosh was awarded the Grinzane Cavour Prize in Turin, Italy Amitav Ghosh has written for many publications, including the Hindu, The New Yorker and Granta, and he has served on the juries of several international film festivals, including Locarno and Venice He has taught at many universities in India and the USA, including Delhi University, Columbia, the City University of New York and Harvard He no longer teaches and is currently writing the next volume of the Ibis Trilogy.He is married to the writer, Deborah Baker, and has two children, Lila and Nayan He divides his time between Kolkata, Goa and Brooklyn.

10 thoughts on “The Hungry Tide

The true tragedy of routinely spent life is that its wastefulness does not become apparent till it is too late This quote does not reflect the theme of this book but it caught my eye in this green covered book in my hand when today I was flipping its pages thinking what to write about it It s tea time and there is a tray ready on a side table with two pieces of cook

I know Amitav Ghosh isn t for everyone, but I just adore his writing I can t think of another author who can transport me to another place the way he does whether it s India, somewhere else in Asia, the US or the UK I haven t yet visited the Sundarbans, but after reading The Hungry Tide I feel like I ve squelched my toes in the mud and scratched my skin on the mangrov

If Shadow Lines enthralled you, Amitav Ghosh s latest masterpiece, the Hungry Tide, will sweep you off your feet, and into the precarious waters of the Sundarbans.In the typical Ghosh style, the narrative moves fluidly between past and present You will be transported into the mindset of the superstitious yet brave folk, who have adapted themselves to the constant ebb an

A fascinating and gripping read given an insight into a subaltern history In particular, I enjoyed the exploration of language and who is given the ability to write history However, there were slightly cringeworthy elements tacked onto the end of each chapter, especially the final lines of the novel This cheapened the novel slightly and seemed a bit out of place.

I have mixed feelings about The Hungry Tide Amitav Ghosh tells a large story firmly set in a particular place the Mangrove covered islands in the estuary of the Ganges River The story has everything love, class difference, political conflict, natural and man made catastrophes, and, of course, dolphins, tigers, and crocodiles dangerous encounters with the latter two, friendl

Amitav Ghosh, I must say is an amazing story teller and in this book he proved beyond doubt that literary skill of the Bengali is redoubtable Absolutely engrossing, this book is one such where you come across a great story which is amazingly written and make you an instant fan of the author.This book is well researched and the story is set in the 70 s, and it revolves around

Home is where Orcaella are says PiaHome is where I can brew a perfect cup,of tea says NilimaHome is where books as fine as this reside says MeThis was a very educational journey into the tide country the Sunderbans.So far, Sunderban has just been a printed name in my geography text books of yore After years I encountered it in all its glory, ruthlessness and ethereal beauty, al

One of Amitav Ghosh s best books, I would say The setting of the book is in the Sundarbans in Eastern India a vast forest in the coastal region of the Bay of Bengal and considered one of the natural wonders of the world There is not much of a story as such in the novel, but there are excellent characters and visual depictions of the Sundarbans The landscape plays a prominent role

This book was written well before Sea of Poppies It was a fairly interesting story set in an area of Eastern India in a labyrinth of tiny islands known as the Sundarbans, where settlers live in fear of drowning tides and man eating tigers It was almostof a documentary giving interesting facts about the history of the settlers, how the government fought them using this ground, how t

this guy is such a terrible writer, I don t know why I bother Full review once I finish this abominable page turnerOK, done I really can t bear Gosh s style, the dialogue is completely implausible, with nearly every character speaking as though they re declaiming to the wind He has an unnecessarily high adjective count, and he just generally annoys me On the upside, this book does s